Monday, February 11, 2008

Info About the Mozambique Trip

The Country Flag

Mozambique is on the South East coast of Africa just west of the island of Madagascar. It is one of the nine Portuguese speaking African countries out of all 54 countries on the continent. It has a population of over 19 million. Back several years ago I think it ones one of the poorest if not the poorest countries in the world. They have faced many floods over the past several years which have left many homeless and many have also lost their lives.

I booked my tickets this evening so Lord willing I will depart from Detriot March 19 and fly into Maputo the capitol of Mozambique on March 21. I will have about a 22 hr lay over there before I continue to fly North to Lichinga which is just west of Lake Malawi in the Northern part of the country.



I will be staying with the Wilcox Family who are missionaries originally from Australia. They are working with Iris Ministries, in Lichinga, Mozambique. You can see Lichinga very well if you look it up on Google Earth, incase you are interested. I don't know a lot about the ministry there, but I am looking forward to learning first hand here in a little over a month. If you would like to read more about their work check out their website http://www.irismin.com/ministryLoc_lichinga.cfm.

The Wilcox Family

This is their newly finished home, but they are still working on the interior.

Here is a list of projects that they are hoping to finish this year. I am looking forward to being able to partner with the Wilcox and help with some of these projects.

PROJECTS FOR 2008!

*Construction of a primary school at the children's center "Joy Village."
*Bible School for leadership training
*Construction of 2 more 'Orphan Girl' cottages
*Construction of multipurpose room and community dining hall
*Construction of administration office
*Construction of long-term missionary houses
*Construction of visitor's housing
*Well digging
*Agricultural project on government given land.

Yes there is a lot to do so if you have some time and you feel like God would have you help out in someway, you could get in touch with the Wilcox and they would be more then happy to have you come. I would appreciate your prayers for this up coming trip. It seems I am stepping out into the unknown, which is a little unnerving, but also thrilling to see how God works and what He has for me to learn.

P.S. Just incase anyone doesn't know you can leave a comment at the end of any of my blogs. Just click on the comment link and drop me a know and let me know how you are and that you dropped by. I kind of liked it went I was sending out emails because I got emails back sometimes but now I don't hear from you anymore.

2 comments:

Joia said...

It's cool to get some more details and actually be able to see where you'll be staying and the people you'll be with!

This will be your farthest "solo trip", to date, won't it?

Andrew & Bethany said...

Yes this trip will be my farthest solo, it should be good though. I a really looking forward to it.